Ferns Gathering 2013 Fringe Events:Over the weekend there will be a variety of events to cater for all the family and add to the festive atmosphere. Fringe events will include:
- Guided walking tours of Ferns Heritage Trail. Walk in the footsteps of Kings, Knights and Saints. This tour is conducted by local volunteer guides and is a walk that will prove most rewarding. Tours will be available on Saturday at 10a.m., 12 noon; 2p.m. & 4p.m. and on Sunday at 10a.m. and 2pm. If you would like to take a free guided tour, email: email@example.com.
- Stitch with Ferns Tapestry. The Ferns Tapestry Group created the renowned Ferns Tapestry which is housed in the Ferns Castle Visitors Centre. They have created a special piece for the Gathering and visitors are invited to join them in the Visitors Centre to stitch their Gathering piece.
- Tours of St. Edan’s & Chapter room. Visit the smallest Cathedral in Europe and take a tour of the Chapter Room. This is a beautiful Cathedral, its interior with its stained glass windows, is full of history. It is set in a beautiful landscaped surroundings with high crosses and historic archeological sites nearby.
- GAA & Camogie Events Our local clubs have organised streets leagues, speed tests and Cuman Abu. On Saturday afternoon from 2p.m. to 5p.m. the finals of the street leagues will take place at the Community Park. On Sunday its time for Cuman Abú, a new type of social ground hurling for adults, so if you want to join in the fun, now's your chance, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Another fun event, this time for children, is the Speed Test which will take place at the Parish Field Day.
- Strolling Musicians. We plan to bring the festive air onto the streets. Musicians in medieval costume will ensure a great atmosphere.
- Medieval costumes Locals are encouraged to wear medieval costume in keeping with the rich medieval heritage which abounds in Ferns.
- Plein Eire outdoor artists. We are delighted to welcome this group of artists who paint in the outdoors. We look forward to seeing them capture the heritage and atmosphere of the weekend.
- Display of building materials used in medieval times. This display and discussion about materials used in buidlings such as Ferns Castle is given by Paddy Byrne, a Wexford based Period Conservationist. This is a great opportunity to learn from a master craftsman.
- Music in local pubs. Our local pubs will put on traditional music entertainment over the weekend.
- Jesters & Town Cryer. Our local Dramatic Society will get into the medieval spirit. a definite spectacle.
For more information on the Ferns Gathering Fringe Events 2013 contact us directly